The MBA -Biotechnology is uniquely qualified to offer an executive focused MBA tailored to the needs of biotechnology professionals. This blended learning programme, offered in collaboration with the School of Biological Sciences, features intensive face to face module workshops as well as a tutor supported online study community. The MBA-Biotechnology has been designed for those who wish to enhance their career without leaving the workplace.
Students on the MBA –Biotechnology learn the fundamental and advanced principles needed to develop technologies and build them into valuable assets. The programme brings to its graduates the skills and the assurance to be innovative leaders in the biotechnology field. This is where highly skilled biotechnology employees can become entrepreneurial managers attentive to organisational and commercial factors.
The programme is tailored to the requirements of leading biotechnology organisations by bringing relevant issues from organisational and business sectors to bear on biotechnology practice. Studying through blended learning with us can provide you with the foundation to break into a management career, to gain promotion with your current employer, change career direction or simply help you to be more effective in your current role. Combining study with your work enables you to put into practice the concepts and techniques acquired on the programme immediately and to draw on your professional experience when completing your assessed work.
Aims and objectives
- The MBA (Biotechnology) programme has been designed to cover the spectrum of management subjects with a tailored focus on biotechnology, calling on a wide range of expertise.
- The Leicester MBA (Biotechnology) provides you with the skills necessary to become a competent manager in today’s global business environment. The course will enhance your ability to evaluate and analyse evidence and implement appropriate solutions in any business environment.
- You will develop the skills to think creatively and strategically about a wide range of business issues, alongside an awareness of cultural sensitivity and the ability to work in a cross-cultural, multi-national, team-based environment.
We offer a three stage MBA (Biotechnology) to help gain your qualification in 24 months. You will study seven core modules and two biotechnology specialism modules, followed by the Research Methods unit and then a 15,000 word dissertation.
Once you have completed the month-long Academic Skills and Knowledge module, the order you study the modules within each stage of your programme will vary according to the year you start your programme. Each modular session is of four months duration and two modules are studied within each session.
Learning, Assessment and Support
- Course Materials:delivered to your door and available online
- Bespoke workshops:two day workshops, held in the Netherlands, for each module enabling you to benefit from intensive face-to-face learning
- Leicester Digital Library:access thousands of articles, books and market reports
You will be assessed through a combination of examinations, assignments, collaborative projects and a 15,000 word research project. Exams will take place at an approved centre in the Netherlands.
Students on the MBA (Biotechnology) benefit from strong network of support from dedicated management and biotechnology tutors. In addition to the modular workshops, you will be assigned an Academic Mentor who will be with your from your first day through to your graduation and a Dissertation Tutor who will support you with your research project. You will be also be invited to attend our week-long residential Summer School held each August on campus at the University.
October each year (starting from October 2015)
24 months with a recommended 15 hours of study per week